The Healing Power of Tattoos

Warning: The following post contains stories with reference to self harm and suicide.

Tattoo Therapy

Many tattoos not only serve a decorative purpose, they are a way to express deeper feelings which lie beneath the surface. Getting inked can be a method of marking a new chapter, to give you closure and even build strength. These inspirational tattoos can come in the form of anything from a large quote or poem to a small symbol like the well known semicolon that reminds people life is worth living; a powerful message that is carried on the body at all times. Tattoo shops can be likened to a place of worship, with the artists offering healing for the mind-set.

"After your season of suffering, God in all his grace will restore, confirm, strengthen and establish you."    A quote from the bible (Peter 5:10).

Without wanting to offend anybody, I feel a modern day twist on the quote for tattooed people might read,

"After your session of suffering your tattooer in all their grace will restore confidence, strengthen and establish you."  

Amy Bleuel is known for starting the amazing semicolon project that has helped so many. Unfortunately Amy died on the 23rd of March 2017 by means of suicide, but her legacy lives on, helping so many people through tough times and saving lives.
A semicolon is used where a sentence could finish but doesn't. This tattoo means that the wearer is a survivor of self harm, depression, anxiety or other related mental health issues.

Just Keep Swimming

This Dory tattoo is one example of the semi colon tattoo. The tattoo belongs to Sophie Wheeler. Sophie got this tattoo to cover self harm scars.

"This is mine, it’s baby dory with just keep swimming and a semi colon as the J from the semi colon project. It was my first tattoo and I’m trying to get my tattoos to cover up where I used to self harm, so the wrist was the first one that I got tattooed."

The quote from the Disney picture Finding Dory is a great twist on the semicolon and works really well.




Brave

 
 

Georgia-Mai Steed also has a semi colon tattoo.

"I got it to remind me to carry on after a suicide attempt."

She went on to say,

"Its only tiny but the meaning behind it has saved my life."

This really shows how important these little tattoos are.

Always Keep Fighting

This is another semicolon tattoo, which belongs to Paisley-Star Igraine Peake. Her tattoo was inspired by Jared Padalecki, one of the stars from the TV show 'Supernatural'. Padalecki started the campaign known as always keep fighting. 
 
"Even if there are a thousand small fights, even if every other minute you’re thinking about suicide, or depression, or addiction, or if you have mental illness, I want people to hit it head on and take action. And to be proud that they’re winning their fight, period."
 
This quote from Jared Padalecki obviously rang true with Paisley and I'm sure many others. 
 
"One of my favourite actors from Supernatural, a show so important to me, created a campaign to raise money and awareness for mental health and depression. He called it Always Keep Fighting. As I have Borderline Personality Disorder it felt so right and healing to have this to cover old self harming scars and mark my 3rd year of recovery. I decided to include the semi colon as a reminder when I come close to relapse it reminds me that I have so much left to do. This tattoo keeps me strong and reminds me to always keep fighting."
 
It is not always easy to keep fighting and for people who struggle with mental health and depression every day can be a battle. So glad you are winning your battle Paisley!
 


Give Hope


Beth Parker is another person who understands the healing power a tattoo
can have with her own semicolon tattoo. Beth has suffered with depression throughout her life and struggled with heroin addiction in her 20s.

"There was a point, or has been many points in my life that I could have just put a full stop to my life and given up...then the comma to represent continuation. Not the end."

Beth has many tattoos depicting her struggles through tough times. She is now a drug councillor helping others with the same or similar issues. This is why she chose this lettering on her knuckles.

"I was able to give hope to people who thought they could not give up drugs...but many of my clients have now become heroine free! passing on hope as they can then give hope to others."

What an amazingly strong lady she is!






With Pain Comes Strength

The next tattoo belongs to another strong lady. Her name is Sammy Drapper and she suffered at the hands of an ex partner who she describes a being manipulative, controlling and violent. She had a two year court battle in order to protect herself and her son from this violent man. Sammy explained,

"After being stabbed and beaten from my ex I learned to be strong and stand up and be strong for my son so he was protected from the violence."

Sammy also has the word 'free' tattooed on her to signify that all this horror is in her past and she is now in fact free!




New Found Confidence


This tattoo is slightly different. However in the same way the tattoo has helped Leah Marsden to fight her demons and move forward in her life.

"The woman in the picture is a silent movie actress named Louise Brooks, she was one of the first major female stars and as a young girl I found some old postcards in a tin in my gran’s wardrobe with her picture on it and fell in love with her. When I was 17 and at drama college I did some modelling for Vidal Sassoon and had my hair cut into her trademark black bob. This means when I look back I don’t have the horrid image of 1980’s perms to shudder at!"

There is more about this amazing lady that drew Leah to her though.

"I later learned she’d been sexually abused at the age of 9 and her mum, when she found out , said that Louise brought it on herself. She was liberated -open about sex drugs and drinking. She turned to prostitution when times were hard but was a survivor and fighter. The tattoo covers my scars which have stopped me from wearing anything other than full length sleeves for years. The day after I got the tattoo I wore a different shirt showing my arms off. She was liberated - and the tattoo of her has liberated me."

This story is truly amazing. The strength of Louise Brooks (the actress in the image) has afforded Leah Marsden the strength to be her true self. Not only that but covering the scars of her past and giving her new found confidence!


Stay Strong

 Sheena McMillan got this tattoo as a reminder to stay strong.

"I'd waited years for this one because I suffer with depression and anxiety and have self harmed for a long time, which at this point was so bad I wasn't even allowed to go to the school bathrooms alone. I was bullied all through school, when I started high-school it was even worse. One day I was on my own as usual and a senior girl came up to me. I didn't really know what to expect because I'd never spoken to her before but thought of the worst scenario. She asked me to go sit over with her and her friends, so I did and was sat talking to them for awhile and she just turned to me and said "Kia Kaha"... It's always stuck with me it means stay strong. So for my 18th birthday I went and got it tattooed near a scar where I attempted suicide. Its a constant reminder to me that I can keep going no matter how bad it may seem."

Kia Kaha is a Māori phrase used in New Zealand meaning Stay Strong. It is used in books and songs but also as a motto.    

This is a great example of how a person's words can stay with you for a long time. With this in mind it is important to ensure your words are always kind. Like in this case the girl left a lasting impression on Sheena she will now remember as long as she lives.

Sheena McMillan also has this tattoo on her sternum to represent the support that her partner provides.

"This was my second tattoo, which I got on my sternum because it is close to my heart. I got it because my partner is like my anchor, he has been here for me through so much. My miscarriage, coming off of my antidepressants, becoming homeless due to family issues and then my recent diagnosis with endometriosis and all of the hospital visits that includes. He's my anchor as opposed to my rock because at times its felt like I'd have been swept out to sea without him. We haven't been together for all that long really (a year and a half) and it never ceases to amaze me that he's never run a mile."
 
What Sheena describes here seems  almost too much for any one person to cope with. She clearly has a very supportive partner and has shown that by representing him with this anchor.
 
This is such a touching tribute to the loved one in her life!

 
 
There really are so many different reasons people decide to get tattooed and in this article, though each story is unique, the desired result is the same. These are tattoos designed to lift spirits and in some cases to help people to carry on. Whether you wear your scars on the inside or externally, life can be tough, and for many having a tattoo is one of the ways to make it just a little easier. If you feel tattoos are not for you and fail to see the artistry ,then please just remember to always be kind - as these examples prove, you never really know what someone is going through on the inside.

If you feel you have been affected by any of the issues raised in this article you can find support on following sites: The Samaritans on https://www.samaritans.org or the suicide help line on http://www.supportline.org.uk/problems/suicide.php There are additional sites and phone numbers available through these sites.
 
Next weeks blog will be tribute tattoos - beautiful tattoos dedicated to loved ones that are unfortunately no longer with us.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

11 Beautiful memorial tattoos that pay tribute to passed loved ones

10 Humorous tattoos on people that don't take life too seriously